Joints problem is an issue that dog owners experience as their dogs grow old. This problem is also known as arthritis, and most aging dogs suffer from arthritis. Developmental diseases are the leading causes of joint problems. Their joints become painful and stiff. Dogs which are active can also experience this problem.
There are various supplements in the stores that help your dog ease this pain. The use of natural supplements is recommendable since their side effects are minimal. They are available in different forms, and you can seek the help of a qualified veterinary doctor’s for proper Medication.
This article does a comprehensive review of ten natural joint supplements for dogs. These are some of the best remedies you can give your ailing dog.
If even more natural remedies for dogs is what you’re looking for, please click the link for my top tips on such remedies that you should know about. For a list of the best dog supplements for joints, including synthetically produced products, check out the linked article for my top picks.
Ten Natural Joint Supplements For Dogs
1. CBD Oil
The oil is extracted from the cannabis plant which is different from marijuana. Marijuana usually has a high level of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). CBD oils should have THC levels of 0.3% and less. If it contains THC levels beyond this recommended level, it will make your dog have the ‘high’ feeling. You should seek advice from your veterinary doctor before administering this supplement for proper guidance.
CBD oils usually have anti-inflammatory effects. This supplement works on your pet by:
- Reducing pain.
- Lowering chronic inflammation.
- Eradicate premature aging. Oxidative stress is the leading cause of premature aging.
2. Tumeric Supplements
Tumeric is one of the best naturals and highly researched supplement you can give your dog. Tumeric contains curcumin which offers a lot of benefits. It relieves the stiffness and pains your dog is experiencing. It also helps in decreasing joint inflammation. Using turmeric supplements on your pet can:
- Work as a pain killer.
- Work as an anti-inflammatory medication.
- Improve steroid levels.
- Operate as arthritis medication.
You can add turmeric in your dog’s food at a ratio of 1/4 tsp per 10lbs of your dog’s weight. You should ensure that you get organic turmeric for your pet. There are also manufacturers who make turmeric supplements in the form of tablets.
If you stress some species of algae, they emit antioxidant which is known astaxanthin. It’s a red pigment, and if an animal feeds on astaxanthin, it turns pink. Astaxanthin is one of the natural joint supplement you can use on your ailing dog. This supplement cleanses the cells and relieves pain. It also works in lowering the inflammation caused by arthritis.
Astaxanthin works by blocking the secretion of antibodies released to attack joint linings hence lowering the inflammation levels. It reduces the pain levels in the body of a dog and also improves its heart health. Once you purchase this supplement, it’s good you follow the instructions given. Also, you can inquire from your vet for assistance.
4. Crominex 3+
This supplement contains three natural ingredients blended in specific proportions. The ingredients are scientifically proven to be an excellent remedy for arthritis. These ingredients are:
- Indian gooseberry. Its also known as Phyllanthus Emblica which is an antioxidant superfruit. It reduces inflammation and also has anti-aging agents.
- Chromium. This component ensures the loss of calcium is minimal. Calcium is responsible for healthy bones.
- Shilajit. This component contains humic extracts and fulvic acids. It acts as an anti-inflammatory component.
Cromine 3+ works by lowering the joint pains and also reducing arthritis. It improves the performance of the circulatory system and also makes the joints healthier. This supplement also helps in controlling the weight of your dog.
This supplement is a combination of glucose and glutamine which is an amino acid. The body of your pet can produce glucosamine naturally. However, as your dog grows old, the level of production in its body also goes lower. Glucosamine is essential in the creation of molecules which aid in forming cartilages in the pet’s joints.
Addition of glucosamine helps in the repair the tissues which are damaged. It also enhances the production of joint fluid which ensures your joints can slide on each other with no pain at all. Microbial grains fermentation and the shell of shellfish are the primary producers of glucosamine.
For my top picks in the product category glucosamine supplements for dogs, see the linked article.
Using synthetic glucosamine is not recommended since its expensive and your dog’s body may reject the synthetic supplements. You should always look for natural supplements to give your dog the best. Other natural sources of glucosamine include:
- Shrimp shells.
- Raw bones.
- Bone Broth.
- Green-lipped mussels. You should ensure that the green-lipped mussel powder is cold extracted.
I have written a separate piece on the benefits of glucosamine for dogs. Feel free to read it and get insight on some of the ways that this supplement can be benefitial for your dog.
Chondroitin is one of the glycosaminoglycans found in the cartilages of the joints. This supplement combines with glucosamine which gives it extra power.
This supplement may:
- Enhance joint integrity.
- It helps in the repair of damaged cartilages.
- It works as a shock absorber.
- Hydrate cartilage tissues.
- Block destructive enzymes that may be in joint fluids.
- Protects the pet’s joint cartilage from breaking down prematurely.
You can purchase chondroitin from your local food stores. When buying, it would be good to check if the supplement is made from natural products. The main components for this supplement are animal bones. Also, bone broth can offer the required nutrients to your dog.
How can a pet owner make bone broth at home?
- Buy animal bones with cartilages and fill them in your pot.
- Add water to the pan and ensure its covering the bones.
- Add about 4 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. It helps in extracting the nutrients from the bones.
- You can cook for 24 hours or more.
- If the water level goes low, you can add some water.
- Strain the broth to remove the bones and chill it in the fridge.
- Remove the layer of fat that forms at the top of the pot.
- Use this broth as a snack, or you can mix it with food when cooking for the dog.
A pet owner can also get their dog supplements which are processed. You should ensure that these supplements are made from natural products and do not contain any additives. Some of the processed supplements include:
7. Extend Joint Care With Natural Glycosamine
This supplement helps in repairing cartilages and enhancing the flexibility of dogs. It contains chondroitin and MSM which work with hyaluronic acid. The components of the supplement are extracted from natural products which are 100% free from additives.
It works by repairing joint cartilages and also improving blood circulation. The supplement comes in powder form and has a meat flavor. You can add the supplement on your pet’s food.
8. Nutramax Cosequin DS Plus MSM
Its one of the top recommended a supplement for fighting arthritis in dogs. The chewable tablets contain fish oil, chondroitin and also glucosamine. The pills offer complex formulas which help in improving the joints health. You can feed the tablets to your dog as chewable. If your pet is fussy, consider grinding the tablets and mixing them with its food. It goes a long way in healing any inflammations and makes your dog feel younger.
9. All-Natural Hip & Joint Supplement
The supplements are manufactured from human grade components. It contains glucosamine, turmeric, MSM and also chondroitin. It works by enhancing your pet’s joints and even cartilage.
This supplement lowers the pain and improves the mobility of your dog due to the chondroitin component. MSM works by soothing inflammation which heals arthritis. Tumeric also works as an anti-inflammatory component. The supplement comes in powder form, and you can mix with your pets meal or drinking water. Most veterinary doctors may advise a dog owner to use this supplement to heal arthritis.
10. VetriScience Laboratories GlycoFlex-3
This supplement has been in the market for more than forty years, and the formula is always improving to give the best. The supplement is recommended for working and also active dogs with joint problems. The supplement comes with chicken flavor which would entice your dog to eat.
How Can You Manage Joint pains?
Proper breeding habits lower chances of your pet suffering from arthritis. If you are feeding your dog with supplements, it would also be good you practice proper maintenance procedures. Some of the practices are:
- Feed your pet on raw diets: Processed foods lead to the creation of Advanced Glycation End (AGE) in the body of the dog. These foods cause inflammation of the pet’s joints. You should consider feeding your dog from raw feeds which have no inflammatory contents.
- Watch the dog’s weight: If your dog is obese, the extra pressure would be applied to its joints. If you watch the dog’s weight, then the strain on its joints would be minimal.
- Exercises. Regular exercises are vital to an elderly dog. These exercises help in strengthening the joints and sustaining the fluids which lubricate the joints. If the muscles function well, then chances of suffering from arthritis would be low.
- Regulate the vaccines you administer to your dog: Regular use of vaccines lead to the development of antibodies. These antibodies destroy collagen found in the body of your pet. Collagens are responsible for the development of muscles and also ligaments. Once these tissues supporting your pet’s joints deteriorate, the chances are high that the dog will suffer from joint pains.
Arthritis and painful joints may harbor your dog’s movement. There are different supplements that you can get in the market, but natural supplements are the best. They can work on their tissues with limited effects. Natural products are also cheap since they are available. These natural supplements will help your dog and restore its active state.